Search & Win Mr. Rebates Picaboo Sale at Amy Adele!  This Week Only! giggle LabelDaddy.com ... Label the things you love !! Magazines.com, Inc. My Adventure Books
One2One Badges

Blog design: Made by Madeline

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

I LOVE Shopping Out of Season...


To many of you frugalites, shopping "out of season" is a way of life...however, until a few years ago, I did not do this. I felt like I was always buying my children's clothes for the current season that we were in. For example, a month or two before Winter, I would start looking to see what they needed, and then purchase it. Of course, I would try not to spend full-price on anything, but there were many times that I had to.
My friend (Love ya, DG), was an inspiration to me. Any time we were out shopping, she would be searching the clearance racks for the next season's (or next few years') clothes for her kids...coming away with things for several years to come at up to 90% off.

I started out by purchasing several large Rubbermaid bins and labeling them with the next few sizes for the kids. (Right now, even though my oldest child is in size 7/8, I have bins labeled "Girls Clothes Sizes 9/10," "Girls Clothes Sizes 11/12," etc.) There really is something to be said for having a place to put something after you purchase it - especially if it is something that you won't need for a year or two!

Now, when I am at a thrift store (my favorite kind of shopping), a yard sale, or even a department store, I am constantly on the lookout for things in larger sizes for my kids. It is amazing the amount of money that I have been able to save by doing this! Winter coats for the next few years...already purchased for only $2-3.00 each! Matching Christmas dresses for my girls for only $3.99 each!

I decided to do a post on this after I went at the Children's Place Outlet a few weekends ago. I found the above dresses for only $2.99 each! Matching Easter dresses for 2011 - DONE! And, almost every time that I go in a Children's Place Outlet store, they have a rack or two of stuff for $ .99. It is usually for stuff that is "out of season," but that is how I shop - perfect! This time I was able to get long-sleeved knit shirts for the girls in several colors for the next few years' sizes. Another time, they had boys' Spring sweater vests and shorts on the $ .99 rack...you can bet that my son will be wearing these for the next few years since I bought several colors/sizes! My girls are also well-stocked on tights for several years to come as I found tights there for $ .25 two years ago...

I went to Savers thrift store yesterday (they put all of their clothes/shoes 50% off for Memorial Day every year) and bought Winter clothes, Summer clothes and shoes for the next few years for my kids for super cheap. All name brand clothes (Gap, Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, etc.), of course, so when my kids are done with them I can sell them to Once Upon A Child!

Maybe this will be an inspiration to some of you...buy "out of season" to save BIG!

4 comments:

Shirley Chicken Legs said...

How do you account for growth spurts? How do you get in the mind set?

The Spend Freely Mama said...

Shirley Chicken Legs,
Good questions. I have three girls (sizes 7/8, 4/5 and 18 months). This does help me, since I can pretty much guarantee that if I buy something for one, and it doesn't fit, then I can use it for one or two others. I am also to a point where I feel I can make pretty good "educated guesses" on the sizes my kids will be in.

carissa said...

great post! I'll forward this to a friend who was asking how to find deals at thrift stores. I told her to ask you :) Now, I'll copy this to her email.
Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I bought the same dress for my girl, but the "patriotic" colored one. She wears a 4 now, but I have found in certain clothes, especially dresses that are a little long, I can buy a size 5, tie the sash a little snugger, and it fits 2 seasons! I have bought a few, hemmed them 3 inches, and then let it out next year. Also, the expensive smocked bishop style dresses are wonderful to do this with as they are made without a waist line. Find one off season, and buy a size larger. It can fit for at least 2 seasons!! I have had one that lasted 3 springs!!

Post a Comment