Search & Win Mr. Rebates Picaboo Sale at Amy Adele!  This Week Only! giggle LabelDaddy.com ... Label the things you love !! Magazines.com, Inc. My Adventure Books
One2One Badges

Blog design: Made by Madeline

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My Version of "Extreme Couponers"

Total= $2.41 for all items in picture!

I'm sure many of you saw the TLC show "Extreme Couponers" that aired recently. Wow!

It was definitely a topic of conversation with many of my coupon-loving friends for days after the show. While I think that we can all learn from these couponers in many of their basic couponing strategies, I also think that much of what those people were doing was excessive. Who really needs deodorant for the next 80 years?!

My version of "extreme couponing" is much smaller and simpler. The stage of life that I am in demands it. My distance from stores dictates it. I can not make several trips to town in a week, nor can I spend hours and hours in town while I am there. I have dreams of having all of my children in school (all day) some day, and being able to go to town for as long as it takes - stopping at every store and stockpiling all of the rock-bottom sale items at each store. Right now, I can not do that - it must be simple.

Here is an example of my simpler couponing. I am still stockpiling and getting great deals, just not to the extent that others can/are doing. This is from my trip to Walgreens tonight:

3 Colgate Toothpastes
2 Boxes of Special K Cereal
2 Packs of Triumph Pens

Total Out of Pocket = $4.41
Received $2.00 Register Rewards
= $2.41 for everything after coupons and Register Rewards!

I will probably go back one more time for more cereal (I will already be in town for another appt. on Saturday, and you can't beat $ .25 a box!), but that is it. I am not going to make any special trips to stock-up on more toothpaste, etc. I know that there will be more sales, and for now, I am content with my deals....although I do struggle with extreme jealousy over those of you who have stores that double coupons! :)

What did you all think about that show? I'd love to hear your feedback. Apparently, TLC is going to be airing more "Extreme Couponers" shows in the near future. Set your DVRs. Even my husband enjoyed watching it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I follow the Krazy Coupon Lady on her blog almost daily and I love it. While the show looked extremely excessive I believe what is right for one person may be right for another. With her stockpile she is able to give back as well as have the security that if something were to happen she knows she can still feed her family.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was EXTREME, but most of those people gave most of what they bought away. I respect that! I also think that they were asked to make it as big as they could because it's TV. I'm sure they weekly shopping isn't that crazy, but then again I might be wrong. :)

The Spend Freely Mama said...

Anonymous 1&2,
Yes, I agree - I am sure that they were asked to make it as BIG as possible for TV. I also follow the Krazy Coupon Lady and LOVE her blog! I also agree that what is right for one person may not be right for another...Even though much of it seemed excessive to me, the show did excite me to get more serious with my couponing. I am also looking forward to watching it when it comes on again on TLC.

Post a Comment