Search & Win Mr. Rebates Picaboo Sale at Amy Adele!  This Week Only! giggle LabelDaddy.com ... Label the things you love !! Magazines.com, Inc. My Adventure Books
One2One Badges

Blog design: Made by Madeline

Sunday, April 19, 2009

My Walmart Trip This Week


I had a wonderful weekly grocery trip this week!
Total Savings in Coupons: $36.00!!!

I just wanted to take this time to remind any "coupon newbies" about several tips to save the most with your coupons:
1. Don't allow yourself to be tied to specific brands. No matter what I am purchasing, I stand and compare prices...picking the brand that I can get the cheapest with the coupons that I have. Many times I get to try the "more expensive" brands, due to them being marked down/combined with coupons.
If there are things that you really want to be brand-specific with, e-mail their company, and let them know that you love their product and would love to receive coupons for them. I have received many coupons from doing that.
BTW, did you know that many of the store brands are made by the "more expensive" brands. For example, I just found out that Ragu makes the Walmart spaghetti sauce.

2. Try to make your check-out time as distraction-free as possible! When I first started couponing, my husband noticed how much I needed to focus on the prices things were ringing up for, as well as making sure that I handed the cashier all of my coupons. He now tries to be there with me to take the kids, or I try to go shopping at a time when I can only have one or two children with me.
On a humorous note, even with out children, it seems that there is always some kind of distraction that crops up right around the time that I hand the cashier my huge pile of coupons. Most recently, a lady came up and started threatening to sue my cashier (for some traffic incident) just as I handed him my coupons...it never fails!

3. Be Organized/Have a List. These two really go hand in hand, so I listed them together. I never go to the store without a menu planned for the week, and a list of all the ingredients that I need for those meals (as well as all of the other things that I need to purchase). I also try to have coupons pulled out for the things that I am buying.

2 comments:

Debbie Griffin said...

Before I make my menu for the week, I sit down at my computer and pull up all the ads for the area stores. If I plan on making multiple stops and have coupons for those stops, I write out an envelope for each store. I put the coupons I plan to use in the envelope and write my list for that store on the envelope. It takes a bit of time to do it this way, but it also makes each stop faster since I just grab that envelope. Of course, I always take my coupon box in case there's some in store special that I have a coupon for as well. I also try to look through all of my coupons before I go shopping so what I have is fresh in my mind in case I find something on clearance or what not. I saved $32 at Walmart this past week!

The Spend Freely Mama said...

That's awesome Debbie! I think I will post your comment later as an inspiration!

Post a Comment